After a long winter there is nothing better than a quick detox. Most people on raw food lead healthy lifestyles, but even the healthiest people need an intensive cleanse. Juicing, oil pulling, body brushing: simple cleansing rituals that help you find new energy for the longer, sunnier and warmer days.
People who do not normally drink freshly made juices report incredible health benefits after a short, three-days juice fast. Unless you have some serious health issues, a three-day juicing marathon is often enough to jump-start your metabolism. When choosing juice ingredients remember to use more vegetable, green leafy greens and fresh herbs than fruits. You want to keep your blood sugar balanced during the detox. Also remember to drink a lot of water to prevent toxic overload reactions that are normally known as the detox crisis or the Herxheimer reaction. Buy organic ingredients whenever you can!
- 2 large or 4 small English cucumbers (wash well to remove the wax from the skin or peel them, especially if they are not organic)
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 bunch watercress (I used 3 cups, leaves and twigs)
- 1 green apple (I used granny Smith)
- 1/2 lemon
- Depending on your juicer you may have to chop the ingredients into manageable chunks.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon straight into a juice receptacle. This will prevent your juice from turning brown.
- Pass all the ingredients through a juicer. I started with the apple. Lemon juice in the jar prevented it from turning brown.
- Pour the juice into tall glasses and enjoy it in good company!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique
*Information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not meant to diagnose or cure a disease.