Beet, Pomegranate And Cranberry Juice

Right before Christmas I'd like to share with you a gift from nature: purple superfood juice that is loaded with vitamins,  antioxidants, and other phytonutrients that are incredibly beneficial to health. All three ingredients are in season now so you will have no difficulty obtaining them in your local grocery store. Remember to buy organic ingredients whenever you can.


Ingredients:
  • 3 large beets (thoroughly washed, leave the peel on if your beets are organic)
  • arils of 2 pomegranates 
  • 2 cups fresh, raw cranberries


Method:
  • Pass all the ingredients through the juicer. 
  • Pour the juice into nice glasses and indulge in good company!  

How to De-seed Pomegranate: Wash the pomegranates. There are a few ways to de-seed a pomegranate. I use the water method because it is not only the cleanest one, it also saves most arils intact. To do this, prepare a large bowl of cold water. Cut away both ends of the pomegranate. Next, cut the fruit vertically into quarters. Gently break the fruit apart and submerge each chunk under water. Using your fingers gently remove the arils from the membranes that are holding them in place. You will notice that the arils sink down in water and the light, white membranes float on top. Remove the floating membranes. Strain the arils using a sieve or a colander and transfer them into a clean bowl. Remove any remaining membranes. Set aside. 
 
Note: Instead of de-seeding the pomegranate, I often cut the ripe pomegranates in half and use my citrus press to squeeze the juice that I mix with the beet and cranberry juice made with my juicer. The citrus press leaves many arils almost intact and even the "spent" arils have some fruit flesh on them. Once the juice is pressed, I dehydrate the arils to create a super delicious spice - the anardana - that I use in salads and other raw dishes. I leave the dehydrated seeds intact but they can also be ground into a coarse powder. The beet and cranberry juice pulp an be used to make raw crackers. In this way, nothing goes to waste. 
  

Christmas kitty - rescued during storm
from a tree in the front yard only yesterday

~ Wishing all my readers a merry and peaceful Christmas ~ In radiant health ~ passionately raw ~ Dominique

Dominique Allmon©2014