I had a bag of South African sweet potato and decided to take advantage of the hot summer weather: I made sun dried chips. It took one day to turn the potato slices into delicious and healthy chips. But this is New Mexico! If you live in a climate with higher humidity you may need a bit longer. In any case, healthy Celtic salt helps to draw moisture out of the potato.
Purple on the outside, white on the inside
- 3-4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 tsp dried Herbes de Provence (thyme, oregano, savory, rosemary, marjoram)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp virgin olive oil
- In a medium large bowl mix a marinade using lemon juice, olive oil and Herbes de Provence.
- Wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes. Using a sharp knife or a mandolin cut potatoes into thin slices.
- Put potato slices into the bowl and gently mix with the marinade. Make sure that all the slices are coated with it.
- Line out a tray or a shallow baking pan with kitchen paper. Sprinkle a little salt on it. Spread potato slices over it without overlapping. Sprinkle salt on the potato slices.
Ready for drying in the sun!
- Place the tray in the sun. You may want to cover it with cheese cloth for protection from insects. Allow the tray to sit in the sun for few hours. Depending on the temperature and the humidity your chips will be almost dry after 3-4 hours. Turn the chips around and sprinkle them with more salt if necessary. After 2-3 hours the chips will be perfectly dry.
- When chips are completely dehydrated and crispy store them in and airtight container. Enjoy in good company when you feel like snacking or take them with you when you travel.
Delicious sun-dried sweet potato chips with Herbes de Provence
Tip: If the weather does not allow you to sun dry sweet potato, or anything else for that matter, you can use the dehydrator. Dehydrator is a very useful tool in the raw food kitchen and you may want to consider buying one. This useful tool opens so many possibilities. You will never stop creating!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique
Bag of organic South African sweet potatoes