This is a wonderfully simple, healthy and delicious alternative to commercially made breakfast preserves. It can be used as a bread spread, sauce for ice cream and desserts; it can be added to smoothies or simply spooned out straight from the jar.
I used pure, organic ingredients that come with important health benefits:
- blueberries - are rich in health supporting phyto-nutrients that have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They help improve cardiovascular health and cognition, balance blood sugar and improve vision. They may be useful in preventing many cancers including breast cancer, colon cancer, cancer of the esophagus and small intestine.
- chia seeds - rich in essential fatty acids these tiny seeds help improve digestion, balance blood sugar, lower cholesterol and boost energy.
- raw honey - is a wonderful source of antioxidants. It is rich in vitamins and minerals. It has strong immune system modulating properties. It is anti-fungal and anti-microbial.
- lavender flowers - help heal digestive disorders and may help improve the liver and gall bladder function. They have a calming properties and may improve mood.
- vanilla - vanilloid compounds in vanilla may help prevent inflammation and improve cognition. Vanilla may help calm nervous stomach, reduce hunger and relieve stress.
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 4 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 Tbsp dried lavender flower buds
- 1 vanilla bean
- tiny pinch Celtic sea salt
- Lets start with the lavender. Make sure you are using food grade, organic lavender flowers. Crash lavender flower buds in a mortar or a spice grinder. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife cut the vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape the seeds out of the pod. Set aside.
- Place blueberries in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add ground lavender flowers, vanilla, raw honey and salt. Blend well.
- Pour the blended blueberries into a glass jar. Add chia seeds and mix well. Chia seeds will swell up and jellify giving the blueberry lavender mixture a jam-like texture.
- Close the jar with a clean lid and place it in the fridge. Allow the jam to "ripen" overnight. Indulge in good company!
Tip: Do not discard the sliced vanilla bean. You can use it to flavor freshly made nut milk. Simply drop the vanilla bean into a jar with your favorite nut milk and leave it in the fridge overnight.
And one more thing. After blending the ingredients you may realize that your blender is kind of sticky because of all the honey. To clean your blender pour two cups of nut milk into your blender jar and whiz it for a few seconds. In this way you will get a very tasty, flavored drink and a blender that is now incredibly easy to clean.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique