I had quite a success with my raw confections. They turned out unsurprisingly tasty. My secret is to always use the best ingredients and to put a lot of love into the project.
My new recipe combines the delicious aroma of sweet orange with mildly nutty pistachios and the bitterness of raw cacao. The sweetness of Medjool dates complements all the other ingredients. The dates are sweet enough so there is no need of any additional sweetener. Once you made your chocolates, remember to store them in the fridge. Eat within a week.
If you decide to make these truffles, plan ahead. You need to soak nuts and dates overnight.
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted and soaked in water over night
- 1 cup pistachios, soaked in water over night and dehydrated
- 3 Tbsp melted virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 tsp Celtic salt
- 1 tsp zest of organic orange
- juice of 1/4 orange (use more if needed)
- Pulse pistachios in a food processor until they turn into a slightly coarse meal. Transfer the meal into a bowl. Set about 1/3 the amount aside. You will need it for garnish.
- Add soaked dates into a food processor container and process until the dates turned into a smooth paste.
- Add pistachio meal and all the other ingredients and process until you receive a firm dough. Take a chunk of the dough and check if you can roll it out into a small truffle. Add more orange juice and more coconut oil if the dough is too dry and too brittle. Taste if it needs anything and adjust the taste to your preference.
- Transfer the dough into a bowl and allow it to sit for 15 minutes or so.
- Take about 1 Tbsp of the dough and roll out a perfectly round truffle. Set on a platter. Continue
- working until you used up all the dough. You should be able to form at least 18 truffles.
- Fill a small dish with a pistachio meal. Take each truffle and roll it out in pistachio meal until it is completely covered and set it in a candy paper cup.
- Place the ready truffles in refrigerator and chill for 2-3 hours.
- Serve chilled and enjoy in in good company!
Tip: To intensify the orange aroma of this delicious truffles use 2-3 drops of food grade essential orange oil. To make sure that it is evenly distributed add the orange oil to the melted coconut oil and mix well.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique