If you live in the Northern hemisphere, now is the time to take care of your immune system and prepare it for the winter.
By preparing your immune system for winter and strengthening your immune response, you will be able to pass through the cold season without an infection and if you catch a cold, your symptoms will be less severe and you will recover much faster.
Elderberry - Sambucus nigra
The simplest way to "winterize" your immune system is to add foods, herbs, and nutrients that support optimal function of the immune system. Foods rich in zinc and vitamin C will help you mobilize your immune system to fight any infection. In addition, increase consumption of immune modulators such as ginger, garlic, honey, seabuckthorn, and elderberry.
I created a smoothie that will help your body keep colds and flue at bay: Avocado is rich in zinc; Elderberry keeps viruses at bay by blocking the virus from entering the cell itself; Honey is a powerful immune system modulator; Pro-biotic yoghurt improves intestinal flora thus helping your immune system to regenerate and stay strong; Acerola is a vitamin C marvel.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds - soaked over night
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup elderberry juice or 1/2 cup extract
- 3 Tbsp honey - I used Korean ginseng honey for maximum immune support
- 1/3 cup green superfoods powder
- 1/2 tsp acerola powder
- 1 tsp probiotic powder
- 1 cup coconut water
- dash pink Himalaya salt
- Place all the ingredients in the blender and process until smooth. You may add ice if you want to. I personally prefer not to when it is cold outside. As always, feel free to adjust proportions to your liking.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique
Also of interest How to Prepare Your Immune System for the Winter