Spring is such a wonderful time of the year. Nature returns to life after a long winter, so are our bodies. Now is the best time to shed pounds and get rid of toxins accumulated in the body during the cold season. Juicing is a perfect way to detoxify and alkalize the body. If your lifestyle does not permit prolonged juicing, set at least one weekend for a deep cleanse. You will emerge rested and full of energy. Use organic ingredients to help your liver deal with toxins.
- 10 spears of green asparagus
- 1 large English cucumber or 2 large garden cucumbers
- 2 green, tart apples (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 lime
- Wash all the ingredients and chop them to manageable chunks. You may want to peel the lime.
- Pass all the ingredients through your juicer. Start with lime to prevent oxidation and browning of the juice.
- Pour the juice to chilled glasses. Enjoy in good company!
This chlorophyll rich juice is a blessing. It is not only very tasty, but also very good for you. Asparagus, among others, contains inulin, a carbohydrate that doesn't get broken down in the stomach or the small intestine. It passes undigested all the way through to the large intestine. Once it arrives at the large intestine, it becomes a perfect food source for such beneficial bacteria like the Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli that help us to better absorb nutrients from foods, to lower risk of allergy, and to lower the risk of colon cancer. Asparagus also helps regulate blood sugar and reduce inflammation in the body. Certain compounds in asparagus have the capacity to alter the activity of some cancer cells, especially those of the liver cancer. Add asparagus to your diet as often as you can.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique