There is no simpler way to eat a watermelon that to simply cut off a wedge of it and work your way from one side to the other and yet people come up amazing recipes to make watermelon eating even more exciting. Salads, slushies, smoothies, granitas, gelatti, ice pops...
Some recipes may take a bit of your time, so when you are in a hurry or are entertaining a large number of people you would rather want to look for something that is sophisticated and easy to make at the same time. My watermelon "popsicles" are one such thing. Easy to make and elegant. I haven't met a single person who would not like them.
- 2 wedges of ripe watermelon
- wooden sweet treat sticks
- Cut each melon wedge into slices. The slices should not be thinner than 1/2 inch.
- Using a sharp-pointed knife pierce each slice though the skin in such a way that a flat wooden stick will fit into it. Insert wooden stick into incision in each melon slice. Each slice should look like an ice on a stick.
- Line out a small flat baking pan with a wax paper. Arrange melon slices in such a way that they do not touch one another. Place the pan for 2-3 hours in a freezer.
- Remove the melon popsicles from the fridge. Serve nicely frozen and enjoy in good company!
I do not believe that watermelon needs any sort of processing before freezing. You may however drizzle it with lime juice if you want to.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique
Also of interest: Health Benefits of Watermelon