This is another wonderful summer dish. The freshness of pesto combines very well with the earthy taste of beets and the vibrant colors carry a promise of unforgettable gustatory sensation.
Beet carpaccio is a summer dish, but you can make it all year round for as long as you have fresh raw beets and mint.
- 1 large beet per person
- 1 tsp virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup raw pistachios, soaked over night
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- unprocessed salt and freshly grind black pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the beets. Using a sharp knife or a mandolin cut beets into very thin slices.
- In a bowl mix olive oil and vinegar. Use the mixture to moisten beet slices. This will keep them from drying and make them look nice and shiny.
- Arrange beet slices on individual plates.
- Process pistachios in a food processor or a blender until coarsely ground.
- Add olive oil, lime juice, mint and garlic. Pulse to combine. You should receive a pesto that is not too thick and not to flowing. If necessary, adjust the amounts of ingredients to get it right.
- Season pesto with salt and pepper and portion out on beet slices. Decorate with fresh mint leaves and serve right away. Enjoy in good company!
You can use the same ingredients to make a wonderful beet spaghetti. To make spaghetti you will need a spiral vegetable cutter. To serve simply arrange spiralized beets on pasta plates and add pesto. Voilà!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique