Pico de gallo or salsa fresca is one of my favorite Mexican salsas. It is raw and refreshing and, most importantly, very easy to make. I usually eat it together with a freshly made guacamole and raw, sprouted flax crackers. Pico de gallo can also be used as a rich dressing for a simple green salad. Mix romaine lettuce, French endive, chicory and iceberg lettuce leaves. Add a generous portion of salsa and some olive oil and you have a great summer salad.
- 2 cups diced heritage tomatoes
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small hot chili pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly grind pepper to taste
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, minced chili and garlic in a bowl large enough to hold all the other ingredients.
- Add chopped tomatoes and onions. Mix gently.
- Add cilantro. Mix again.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and refrigerate for 15 minutes or so.
- Serve nicely chilled as a side dish or as a garnish-cum-dressing with salad greens. Enjoy it in good company!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique