Kale is one of the healthiest cruciferous vegetables that can be eaten raw without any objection. To enjoy maximum nutrition and flavor from it you must learn to prepare it properly. Kale leaves have hard fibers and veins and it is rather difficult or impractical to remove them all. To make kale more palatable you may have to "massage" it until it softens a bit.
As always, feel free to experiment with ingredients and proportions. Use your own intuition to prepare the most enjoyable and healthy food. Skip the feta cheese if you are vegan. And last, but not least. Purchase organic ingredients whenever you can.
- bunch of kale
- 1 large beet
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- freshly grind black pepper
- freshly grind pink Himalaya salt
- Wash and dry kale leaves. Remove stalks and cut into thin slices.
- Place cut kale in a large bowl. Add salt, lime juice and olive oil. Massage until the leaves are wilted and soft.
- Peal the beet and cut into quarters. Cut each quarter into thin slices. Mix beet and kale in a bowl.
- Peel the onion, cut in half. Cut each half into thin slices. Place in the bowl and mix well with the other ingredients.
- Cover the bowl and chill in a fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Short before serving, gently mix in pecans and feta cheese. Add pepper to taste.
Enjoy in good company!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique