If you are lucky enough to buy your organic carrots with green tops you are probably composting them or throwing them away. Like most people I did too until I realized that the vibrant greens can be used to make delicious soup, green sauce or a pesto.
The carrot greens are very nutritious. They have about six times more vitamin C than carrot roots; they are also rich in vitamin K, calcium and potassium; like any greens they are a wonderful source of alkalizing and purifying chlorophyll. Carrot greens also contain significant amounts of compounds called porphyrins. Porohyrins are known to stimulate the pituitary gland and lead to the release of increased levels of sex hormones.
- 1 cup organic carrot greens, hard stems removed
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime (add more juice if you prefer)
- freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- pinch Celtic sea salt (optional)
- In a food processor combine all ingredients, except the olive oil, and pulse blend until finely minced.
- Add olive oil and whiz for a few seconds.
- Add black pepper and more salt if you like. I personally prefer the clean green taste.
- Serve right away with spiralized zucchini or carrot, or use as a deep for raw vegetables. Enjoy in good company!
Tip: Like any other fresh herb pesto you can store this delicious carrot greens sauce in a fridge for a few days. You can also freeze it. I prefer to make small batches and eat it quickly.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique