I simply cannot believe that it is already end of October. Thanks goodness the contemplation of all shades of yellow, orange and red in nature brings me back to may senses. It is, indeed, autumn. Still very warm outside, but the days are definitely shorter.
To satisfy my cravings I made fruity, spicy smoothie. I took everything that I could put my hands on in the market and juiced, blended and spiced until it tasted just the way I imagined it should. This actually is a recipe without a recipe. Depending on what fruits and vegetable you decide to use you may come up with a very different result. The good thing about raw food is that you cannot really go wrong. Experiment. It is such a fun!
for the smoothie base juice
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup diced Hokkaido pumpkin
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 red apples
- 2 inch chunk fresh ginger root
- 1 inch chunk fresh turmeric root
for the smoothie
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2-3 ripe persimmons
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice (add more if needed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cold pressed flax seed oil
- pinch pink Himalaya salt
- 2 cups freshly made smoothie base juice
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional)
- Pass all the juice ingredients through a juicer. Save the pulp for other raw recipes.
- Pour the juice to a blender. Add all the smoothie ingredients and blend until velvety and smooth. If the smoothie is too thick, add more juice or some coconut water.
- Adjust the taste to your personal liking. Add one or two Medjool dates or a spoon of maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter. Pour the smoothie into glasses and enjoy in good company!
Tip: If you have a high speed blender you can skip the juicing part and blend all the ingredients until smooth. Add enough liquid, though. I took the juice as a base because I wanted to use the juice pulp for my new pumpkin spice raw cookies. I still have to experiment a bit to get it right. The pulp is also great as a base for a spicy raw soup. I am sure that you will come up with your own ideas. Have fun!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique