Granitas and sorbets are wonderful all by themselves. However, if you are hosting a party, especially a summer raw food party, granitas are great palate cleansers between different items on the menu. They are very easy to make and very simple to serve.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp matcha (Japanese green tea powder)
- pinch Celtic sea salt
- 1 drop food grade thyme essential oil, optional
- 1 drop food grade sage essential oil, optional
- a few fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Chop cucumbers into manageable pieces and throw them into blender. Puree on a high speed until they turn into a smooth pulp.
- Add lime juice, mint, essential oils, and salt. Blend for a few seconds. Add matcha and blend again until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread the seasoned cucumber pulp evenly on a shallow baking pan. Put the pan into a freezer and refrigerate until frozen.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and using a fork scrape the frozen cucumber mass into "shards." Put back into freezer. Repeat this a couple of times until cucumber mass looks like a green snow of sorts.
- When you feel that your granita is ready for serving, portion it out into small glasses, garnish with fresh mint and serve right away. Enjoy in good company on a hot summer day!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique