I hope you can gather all the ingredients necessary for this mind-blowing slaw. I call it so because of what it does to your taste buds. On one hand, you have the earthy tubers that are, kind of, trying to pin you down to the ground; on the other, the incredibly refreshing combination of lime, mint and jalapeno allows you to almost take off with each bite.
Tubers are maybe not the prettiest vegetable in the vegetable aisle, but they are not less tasty and nutritious than all the other greens. People who cook their food tend to use them more often that those who prefer their food raw. But like many inconspicuous ingredients, tubers have great potential in raw food kitchen.
- 1 sweet potato, shredded
- 1 jicama, shredded
- 4-5 Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes), shredded
- 1 roughly chopped jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup freshly pressed lime juice (I used key limes)
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl mix shredded tubers. Set aside.
- In a blender whiz a dressing using all the olive oil, lime juice, jalapeno and mint. Add salt and mix well. Use more salt if necessary.
- Pour the dressing over the shredded tubers and mix well. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to chill.
- Take the bowl out of the fridge. Add black pepper if you like and mix well. Garnish with fresh mint and enjoy in good company!
Tip: If you do not have a blender mix olive oil and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mince mint leaves and the jalapeno pepper, and toss them into the bowl with dressing. Pour the dressing over the shredded tubers and mix well.