Only a few days ago a fellow blogger and my Facebook friend Yelena asked me about raw food breakfast options. Most people can easily envision raw food for lunch and dinner, but a raw food for breakfast still seems a bit weird to many. "What do you eat for breakfast if you are on raw food?" is the common question. There are more raw breakfast options than you can imagine. Raw nut butters and preserves on raw breads and crackers are only one of many delicious alternatives to conventional breakfast.
If you like to start your day on the sweet side, try my scrumptious strawberry coconut butter. It is very easy to make and absolutely delicious.
- 2 cups chopped fresh, ripe organic strawberries
- 4 cups shredded raw coconut
- 1/3 tsp liquid stevia (add more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pink Himalaya salt
- Place shredded coconut in a bowl of a food processor and process until you receive creamy coconut butter. Remember to scrape the walls and push the coconut mass down every few minutes. (You can use a high speed blender if you have one.)
- If you are satisfied with the creaminess of your coconut butter, add all the remaining ingredients and process for a few minutes.
- When all ingredients are perfectly combined and your butter is smooth a creamy, transfer it into a clean jar or a butter container. Enjoy in good company!
This scrumptious strawberry coconut butter stores well for up to one week in the fridge. Make small batches and use quickly. You can use it as a bread spread, in smoothies, or as a base for raw deserts. For best results, remember to take it out of the fridge about half an hour before use.
Tip: You can save the time and use store-bought raw, organic coconut butter (not to be confused with coconut oil!) Use 1/2 cup coconut butter for each cup of fresh strawberries. If you are not a vegan and have access to raw milk and raw milk butter, you can also use it to make a non-vegan version strawberry butter. The process is exactly the same, but you might have to experiment with proportions.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique