This is a wonderfully refreshing winter salad. Mild, crispy fennel meets juicy fruitiness of ripe citrus fruit. For this salad I have chosen sour and slightly sweet Meyer lemon, sweet and slightly sour Mandarin orange, and sweet and slightly bitter pomelo.
- 1 fennel bulb with greens
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 Mandarin orange
- 1/2 pomelo
- pinch of pink Himalaya salt
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Mandarin orange juice
- 2 Tbsp pomelo juice
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- pinch ground fennel seeds
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and trim the fennel. Chop the greens. Save some larger twigs for garnish.
- Cut fennel in half. Cut each half into very thin slices. Set aside.
- Supreme Meyer lemon, Mandarin orange and pomelo. If you do not know how to supreme citrus follow the step-by-step instruction in my tutorial.
- In a large enough bowl gently mix sliced fennel, citrus supremes and chopped fennel greens.
- Whisk a vinaigrette using citrus juice, olive oil, ground fennel and salt.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix well.
- Arrange salad on salad platters. Garnish with fennel greens. Add freshly ground black pepper and enjoy it in good company!
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique