I love pistachios! The green nuts are not only tasty, they are good for your health. The most recent scientific research has shown that pistachios significantly reduced the LDL (bad cholesterol) levels in serum increasing the levels of the HDL (good cholesterol) at the same time. Researches also observed increased blood levels of such antioxidants as the lutein, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and Vitamin E (especially the gamma-tocopherol form). The green nuts also provide significant amounts of B Vitamins and copper.
Pistachios and Cardamom Pods
Raw, unprocessed pistachio nut are not very easy to obtain, but if you are able to find them in your grocery store, use them as often as you can.
Unlike most nuts and seeds, pistachio nuts do not require any soaking. However, to make my pistachio milk, I soaked them overnight. They swell up a bit and are easier to process.
I did not add any sweetener, but you can add raw honey if you want to.
Fragrant Pistachio Milk
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 2 cups purified water
- 1 Tbsp wild green cardamom pods
- 3 Tbsp rose water
Fragrant Pistachio Milk
- Soak pistachios in water overnight.
- Wrap cardamom pods in a small piece of cheesecloth and soak them overnight in 2 cups purified water.
- Next day, rinse the nuts and place them in a food processor.
- Remove the cardamom pods and pour the fragrant water into a blender. Process until almost creamy.
- Using two or three layers of cheesecloth or a very fine sieve pour the mixture into a jar. Squeeze as much water as you can.
- Add honey and rose water and mix well. Chill the milk for at least one hour.
- Serve chilled and enjoy in good company!
Tip: Store this fragrant pistachio milk in the fridge and consume within two days. Drink it straight or use it to make a smoothie. Do not overdose the rose water or your milk will acquire a soapy taste. I was very lucky to discover incredibly tasty ayurvedic rose water in Germany. It is made by Cosmoveda and it tastes like nothing I have ever tried before! I also used wild green cardamom pods that are incredibly fragrant. Do not discard the soaked cardamom pods. You can use them to spice any nut milk or add them into a pot hot water. Use the water to make fragrant tea. Also do not discard the pistachio meal. You can use it as a base for delicious smoothie, to make raw cookies, or raw chocolate truffles.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique