When temperatures rise to 108°F as they often do in New Mexico during the summer, I crave ice cream. Over the years I created many raw ice cream and sorbet recipes. They are the absolutely healthier alternatives to the commercially produced sweet, creamy stuff that you find in the frozen food section of every supermarket.
Raw banana ice cream made of frozen raw bananas is probably the easiest ice cream recipe you can find. And you don't even need an ice cream maker to make it! You can use frozen raw bananas as a starting base to create any flavor you like. Simply add berries, cherries, raw cacao, spices or nuts, blend and enjoy.
- 5 frozen very ripe bananas
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- juice of 1/2 lime
- pinch pink Himalaya
- 1/2 tsp probiotic powder (optional)
- handful fresh raspberries for garnish
- Blend all the ice cream ingredients in a food processor until they are well combined. Stop processing when you have a creamy mass that feels like a soft-serve. You can eat it right away or freeze it for about 30 minutes in the freezer. To do this transfer the soft-serve into a freezer-safe container and refrigerate. When the ice cream is ready take it out of the fridge and let it sit on a counter top for five minutes or so.
- Portion out the ready ice cream using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon. Garnish with fresh raspberries and enjoy in good company!
Tip: Use very ripe bananas to make this ice cream. because ripe bananas are very sweeter and very aromatic there is no need for additional sweetener or aroma additives. The best way to freeze bananas is to peel them and chop them into a medium size chunks. To make a soft-serve you can also use a Champion juicer or a Vitamix blender.