Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sprouted Raw Essene Bread

When I first tried the real, raw Essene bread I was not sure that I would ever be able to eat baked bread again. Of course I did, but I always looked for the grainiest kind with nuts and seeds in it. I also bought Essene bread in health food stores, but I wasn't sure how raw the bread really was. It was made out of sprouted grains, but it might have been baked.


Baking bread at home is a grand enterprise, but making raw bread is an even bigger one. This is my first attempt to make the genuine Essene bread and I am certain I will have to try more than once. Making raw bread is not as easy as tossing lettuce leaves together or blending a smoothie. I will share with you the final recipe when I am fully satisfied with the results. Below are the ingredients I am starting with.

To sprout the grains use bags made of organic fabrics. Keep things clean and do not "over-sprout." The germ should be no longer than half the length of grain itself.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sprouted rye berries
  • 1 cup sprouted wheat berries
  • 1/3 cup hazelnuts, soaked in water overnight and chopped
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, soaked in water overnight
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 Tbsp fennel seeds (whole or ground)
  • 1/2 Tbsp caraway seeds, whole or 1/3 tsp ground
  • 1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds, whole or 1/3 tsp ground
  • 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, whole or 1/3 tsp ground
  • 1 tsp mixed organic dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, cilantro)
  • 1 tsp Celtic sea salt

Method:
  • Crush sprouted grains using a hand-cranked grain grinder. Use a food processor with an S-blade if you prefer, but make sure that you are not warming up your grains while processing them. You want to preserve all the enzymes!
  • Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow to sit for up to 30 minutes.
  • Form a bread loaf and place it in a dehydrator. Dehydrate at 115°F for at least 1 hours. If you decide to use an oven make sure you are not baking your bread. Set your oven to the lowest temperature possible and keep the oven door slightly open.
I love to dry my raw crackers in the sun and will try to dry my bread in the sun as well. I will keep you posted. 

In radian health - passionately raw - Dominique

       
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis