No matter where they live and what season it is, people on raw food tend to eat more fruits and vegetables than anyone else. If you are not yet a raw food enthusiast I can only encourage you to start introducing raw salads and freshly made juices to your daily routine. The vitality that comes with this minor change in diet cannot be described. You have to experience it all by yourself. Spring is a perfect time to begin. So why not start with a lovely salad?
A visit to a farmers market confirms that winter is over. The variety of locally grown, organic produce increases every week. There is so much out there to inspire you to create a new raw dish or juice every day. Go out, get the veggies and start creating!
~ Celebration of Spring Salad ~
for the salad
- mixed young lettuces and baby leaves
- young radishes, English cucumber, kohlrabi, fennel, leak, spring onions, tomatoes
- fresh herbs (cilantro, dill, parsley, chives, lemon balm, basil, mint)
for the dressing
- 1/3 cup mixed fresh garden herbs (add more if you prefer)
- 2 clove young garlic (take 1 clove if you are using old garlic)
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 organic lime
- 1 Tbsp raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup home-made kefir or raw milk yogurt
- Celtic sea salt to taste
- Wash and clean the lettuces and baby leaves. Arrange in a large bowl.
- Wash and clean the herbs. Pull the leaves off the twigs and add to the salad bowl. (Do not discard the twigs. You can add them to the dressing if you have a strong blender that will puree them.)
- Wash the add-ons and cut them into slices or cubes. Add to the salad bowl and mix gently.
- Make the salad dressing using a blender or a food processor. Taste and adjust the taste to your personal liking.
- Pour dressing over the salad, mix gently and serve right away. Enjoy in good company!
I used home-made kefir to make this delicious dressing. In April I will post a tutorial so you can learn how to make this wholesome milk drink. If you are a vegan or allergic to milk products you can make this dressing using raw cashew nut butter. You simply have to adjust the amounts to make your dressing as creamy as possible. Experiment.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique