Pumpkins are wonderful! Unfortunately most pumpkin recipes are either cooked or baked and not always healthy. But pumpkins are versatile and can be eaten cooked, marinated and raw.
For this year's Halloween party I created a very tasty pumpkin spice smoothie. I used raw pumpkin, but decided to freeze it before blending. Freezing makes the pumpkin a bit sweeter and more palatable even to those who would not eat it raw.
You can make the preparations a day ahead and freeze the pumpkin overnight, but the recipe also works if you freeze it for few hours only.
You can use individual freshly ground spices or use a ready pumpkin spice mix.
- 1/2 medium large pumpkin (or one Hokkaido pumpkin)
- 1 banana
- 2 cups raw nut milk of your choice (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground raw ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- pinch Celtic salt
- 1 Tbsp flax seed oil
- 2 Tbsp raw honey (optional)
- Wash and cut your pumpkin into quarters. Remove the seeds and cut the flesh into manageable chunks. Do not discard the seeds. You can dry them in a dehydrator and eat them later on.
- Place pumpkin chunks into a freezer safe dish and freeze it for 2-3 hours.
- Place the frozen pumpkin in a blender. Add nut milk, banana, ginger, honey and flax seed oil. Blend until smooth.
- Add all the spices and blend again for a few seconds.
- Pour the smoothie into tall glasses and enjoy in good company.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique