Iskiate also known as the chia fresca is a health drink of the Tarahumara people in northern Maxico. These people are well know for their physical stamina and endurance which they attribute to the consumption of chia seeds.
The recipe for this nourishing drink is quite simple, but it takes some 15-20 minutes to make. This is namely the time the chia seeds need to jellify.
- 2 cups purified water
- 1 Tbsp organic chia seeds
- juice of 1/2 organic lime
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Mix chia seeds with water and allow the mixture to stand for 5 minutes or so, then stir with a spoon and allow to rest for another 5 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure twice more time. By now the seeds must have produced a jelly like substance.
- Add lime juice into the liquid and stir again.
- Add raw honey and stir again. Ready!
Some people prefer to drink chia fresca ice cold. Simply serve your iskiate on the rocks. Add fresh mint leaves for a more invigorating taste.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique
To learn more about the health benefits of chia seeds please click here