If you are entertaining in summer and wish to treat your guests to some raw food, here is a simply wonderful and very elegant fruit salad that can be eaten either as an appetizer or as dessert.
It takes a few minutes to prepare it so you probably should make it first and keep it chilled in the fridge for 15-20 minutes for flavors to mix. In this time you can get busy with other dishes you are wishing to serve.
To make this salad I used organic dark cherries, organic peaches, wild white peaches, organic nectarines and organic apricots. You can add some plums as well. The proportions are really up to your personal liking. Buy whatever is ripe, organic and in season. Double and triple the amounts depending on how many people are to enjoy this salad. You can portion it out on individual plates or in small salad bowls, or place in a large bowl on your buffet. Remember to keep it slightly chilled.
- 5-6 peaches
- 5-6 nectarines
- 5-6 plums
- 10 apricots
- 1 lb cherries
For the marinade:
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons depending on the size of your salad
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- tiny pinch pink Himalaya salt to enhance the taste
- Wash the fruit and remove the stones.
- Cut the fruit into halves. With a sharp knife slice the halves into thick wedges.
- Place the cut fruit in a large bowl.
- In a smaller mixing bowl whisk a marinade using all the lemon juice, thyme and honey. Add pinch of salt to taste.
- Pour the marinade over the cut fruit and mix gently. Cover the bowl and place in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix the salad one more time and portion out. Enjoy in good company!
Fruits are a perfect food and do not really need much preparation, but when you have guests who are not necessarily raw foodies, fruitarians or vegans, serving a tempting fruit salad is probably the best way to introduce people to a new way of eating. Make sure, however, that your guests do not suffer from allergies. Many people are allergic to apricots and cherries. I noticed that when you buy certified organic produce and wash it well, allergic reactions diminish.
In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique