This is not your typical mango lassi! Traditionally mango lassi is made from fresh mangoes, yoghurt, milk and sugar. I decided to skip the sugar and replace milk and yoghurt with coconut milk and coconut water. For an additional health benefit I added generous amount of Indian spices: cardamom, turmeric, and cinnamon. You may add some hot chili, cloves, vanilla or tonka bean. As always, I invite you to experiment with ingredients. If you manage to buy a very ripe fruit, you will not need any sweetener. But if you like your lassi rather sweet, choose the healthier options - raw honey or stevia.
- 3 ripe mangoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 drops hot chili oil
- pinch of pink Himalaya salt
- few drops of liquid stevia (optional - skip if your mangoes are sweet enough)
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional)
- Peel mangoes, remove the seeds and cut the fruit flesh into manageable chunks. Throw into blender.
- Add coconut milk and coconut water. Blend until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Blend again.
- Pour into tall glasses and enjoy in good company.
This is a really delicious vegan alternative to the classic mango lassi. You may want to add more coconut milk or more coconut water to suit your personal preferences. Add more spices as they have wonderful health benefits that go well beyond the gustatory sensation. To learn more about health benefits of spices read my article Add Some Spice Into Your Life and Improve Your Health
Wishing you much passion and excitement in the kitchen - in radiant health, passionately raw - Dominique