We are in the middle of a strange winter. It was very cold for a few days only and we even had one day of snow. The sun is shining on most days and I cannot stop thinking of spring and summer! Mostly because finally we will be able to take care of the garden. This year I plan to grow some edible flowers. There is absolutely as beautiful as a colorful salad bowl! Although I still have to wait for my own harvest, I am already looking for ways to incorporate flowers into my raw food dishes.
Here is a simple salad recipe. The amounts of ingredients are not stated because I believe that everyone has his or her own style. Besides, it is such a fun to experiment! One thing is important, though. Buy organic ingredients whenever you can.
- Mixture of baby salad leaves such as baby Cos, baby red and green oakleaf, coral lettuce, butter lettuce, rocket, tender curly endive, chervil, and mizuna
- Mixture of pesticide-free edible flowers such as nasturtiums, borage, Heart’s ease, violets, pansies, geraniums, chrysanthemums, herb blossoms
- Virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Himalaya pink salt
- Pink peppercorns
- Handful raw, unsalted macadamia nuts - chopped
- Wash baby salad leaves and dry carefully.
- Wash flowers and dry them carefully.
- Place greens and flowers in a large salad bowl. Toss together gently.
- Make a simple dressing using virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add pink salt and freshly ground pink pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the salad with chopped macadamia nuts.
Enjoy in good company!
Also of interest: List of edible flowers - please click here