Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rose Petal Scented Pink Himalaya Salt

Every time I talk about salt I realize that there is a salt phobia of some kind. I understand the negative effects of excess sodium, but the salt I am talking is not the denatured white product you find in salt shakers in most diners and restaurants which is also added to most ready made foods.

Although the raw food recipes do not require much salt, I always add salt to most of my dishes. I add salt to my smoothies and vegetable juices; I add salt to my raw soups, salad dressings and sauces; I add salt to my raw desserts. Not much - just a pinch. And I use the best there is: either the raw, unprocessed dark grey salt from Brittany or the pink salt from the Himalaya.

Rosa rugosa

The natural, unprocessed salt is rich in minerals and trace elements that are indispensable to health.  Salt not only enhances the taste of many dishes, but most importantly, provides nutrients that our bodies need in order to function properly. 

Foraged rose petals ready for the drying in the sun

Salt is a very versatile material. I love to make herb or wild petal scented mixtures and keep them in salt mills. In this way salt is not only protected from moisture, but the aroma of the used plant matter is preserved for quite some time.

Ingredients:
Method:
  • In a bowl gently mix the salt crystals with sun dried rose petals.
  • Let the mixture sit for a few minutes.
  • Using a funnel transfer the scented salt into a salt mill.
Use to enhance the taste of smoothies and raw desserts. Store in dark and moisture free place.
    The longer the salt is infused with the fragrant rose petals the more aromatic it will become. 
      Rose petal scented pink Himalaya salt

      To make a fragrant salt you can use different flowers. The most suitable are violets, marigold, corn flowers, lavender, camomile and jasmine flowers. You can add dried fragrant herbs such as thyme, oregano and rosemary. Always make sure that they are organically grown.

      In radiant health - passionately raw - Dominique

      For more information about the pink Himalaya salt please click here


               

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

      ShareThis