This is a lovely recipe from Robert Turner, Omega Food Works general manager and executive chef, that I had to share here.
When the juiciest peaches arrive in August, there is always a huddle of Omega cooks in the back of the kitchen enjoying a taste and discussing how to use them. We might roast them, grill them, bake them in a tart, add them to a salad, make a crumble, whip up a cold soup, or add them to an entrée. That is if there are any peaches left after we're done sampling them. Here's a simple recipe for a hot summer day that preserves the fresh flavor of the fruit.
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced (pit removed)
- 1/2 banana, peeled and frozen
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (1 large orange)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt)
- freshly purified water (optional)
- Combine the peaches, banana, ice, and orange juice in a blender and blend.
- Stop the blender, add the yogurt, and blend gently.
- Add water, if necessary, to bring the smoothie to your favorite consistency. Enjoy!
Robert Turner is general manager and executive chef of Omega FoodWorks. An honors graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, his philosophy of food is straightforward: cook locally, seasonally, and simply. He is teaching multiple workshops at Omega in 2010, including Cooking for Diabetics & Pre-Diabetics and the Omega Cooking Series.